Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have so numerous scientific advancements and new methods emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free method to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Select a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor does not understand can harm you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your doctor will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask exactly what steps are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the danger of getting less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat various outcome. The finest cosmetic surgeon worldwide cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go in other places. You're not buying why not try this out a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless people all over the world.